“You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world.” — Woodrow Wilson
Have you ever dreamt of changing the world for the better only to let “reality” talk you out of such a crazy notion because it was just too big of a task?
I’ve wanted to change the world for quite some time now, maybe it’s the teacher in me. Changing lives and changing the world are part of my DNA. But, wanting is not the same as deciding why, how and in what way the “world changing” will take place.
I am sharing my story of action with you for two reasons:
- To assure you of your own abilities to influence change.
- To demonstrate how to leverage social media for a higher purpose and calling.
I hope these ACTIONABLE STEPS IN SOCIAL MEDIA can inspire and motivate you to build you’re own passionate community through social media.
It is your world – change it!
Here’s how I have decided to change mine:
1. Create a Statement of Intent
One of my favorite things to do is dream up all the ways I could make a difference in the world. Of course there are countless ways to do it, and it’s easy to get lost in the thoughts. The real trick is finding on small thing that can change the world that actually feels doable. Something that does not require heroics and can actually succeed.
The following questions helped me find my way:
- If_________ was different, the world would be a better place.
- People I know would be happier, more productive, more empowered , if….
- I know, if _______ happened, lives would improve.
So, it’ become my intention to spread a #youmatter message with practical actions and strategies to those I meet in hopes they know this to be true.
2. Go Public
Making your intentions to change the world public is a bold and necessary move. It is normal to wonder if you will be taken seriously. By making our intentions public, we raise awareness to our mission, ignite powerful conversations, and hold ourselves more accountable to the goals we have set.
Of course, it’s not easy. You have to get over the fear or criticism and ridicule in order to take a stand. That takes work, it takes courage. It is within reach. Each time you “take it public”, you are one step closer to making the change you wish to see. Once you go public, there’s no turning back! Here’s my first step.
3. Recruit Others
Connections with other people who understand and believe in you is the single most powerful force in your mission.
Influence is everywhere, but it’s up to you to spot it. As information flow is infinite, it is of utmost importance to capture the attention of the select few who serve as influencers — people who can actually stop their followers in their tracks to help spread your message.
I selected influencers in all different “walks of life” and areas of influence, from the blogosphere to the power users of Twitter.
As you consider those who will be important to supporting your cause, check out this list of useful Influencer Discovery Tools compiled by SME’s very own Jason Falls.
4. Have Others Tell The Story
Spreading your message is a lot easier when you don’t have to repeat yourself. Make your message stronger, deeper, and more impactful, by finding ways to help others share it. This is only possible if you have crafted your story with trust and truth.
6. Benchmark Progress
- Who are the people that matter most?
- What is their greatest worry or challenge?
- What tools can you use to help you to understand and engage with them?
- What’s the best platform to share my story?
- The Value of Social Media (marketingsimplyonline.com)
- Latinos Changing the World Through Twitter? (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Social Media Revolution (retechworld.wordpress.com)
- Are You Afraid to Use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube) in Your Job Search? Just Stop It! (carolhbates.com)
- How Twitter Is Changing the World (austinsocialnetworking.com)
VIP Explorers Club
- A Guide to Building the Best Possible Facebook Custom Audience with Jon Loomer
- How Marketing Will Change at the Incite Marketing Summit
- Book Review: ‘The CMO’s Periodic Table’ Reveals the True Elements of Marketing
- How to Use Reddit to Drive Traffic to Your Site
- Trump Launches National Snapchat Filter and Millennials Are Furious