I taught kindergarten for one year of my career. It was an extraordinary year. It was an experience I wish every teacher and leader could have at least a small taste of.
There’s something about being around young children; beyond their energy, freshness, and laughter. Children are wise without knowing it. Fearless learners and compassionate leaders; children live in a world where everything matters and everyone has value.
I loved seeing their faces light up when I told them how smart they were making me. They smiled with pride and appreciated the praise; but I am not sure they understood how true those words were.
It was there, I learned to:
- Notice beauty and wonder all around me
- Never take a day, or even an hour for granted
- Find evidence of life and growth in the most unlikely of places
- Listen with a mind and heart wide open
- Dream big and celebrate little
- Capture the extraordinary in the ordinary and everyday things
- Most Importantly … Love Unconditionally
The world is what we make of it, and children know that. To fully embrace the potential the web holds; we need to be more “child-like” in our approach. The web depends people’s ability to move through it with respect and grace; to demonstrate community and social responsibility, and to fully experience it with love.
If you have not had the privilege of spending your day in the presence of such genius minds, I leave you with a “taste”. Enjoy the lessons from my teacher and friend, Adora Svitak. As you watch her amazing TED talk, think about what you can teach your students about being more “childish.” (You’ll wanna take notes, I promise!)
Related articles by Zemanta
- Leveraging Social Media Tools for Learning (gautamblogs.com)
- Social Learning: Lesson Ideas for Teachers by Nancy Rubin (simbeckhampson.posterous.com)
- Show 303 – The New Social Learning Concept (theengagingbrand.typepad.com)
- How to get Over Your Fears of Social Media (conversationagent.com)
VIP Explorers Club
- How to Rise Above the Noise with Your Content Marketing
- Interview: Building a Customer Centric Brand with the CMO of Belkin
- 9 SEO Optimizations You Can’t Afford to Ignore
- 3 Billion Social Shares Analyzed: Lessons From the Internet’s Most Viral Content
- Twitter Loosens Its Character Count Restrictions